Monday, March 27, 2006

Thank You for Smoking ...

This movie has a great title (ref my previous post on movie titles), and looking at the storyline, might actually be a good movie. I wonder how the Indian Health Minister would react to this title - He was the one who has imposed a new diktat on all TV Channels that any smoking scene on TV should be accompanied with a written health warning below. MTv is in soup for failing to comply, and other who are not, are in soup, trying to comply. When I started smoking, I had just passed the teens (unlike the majority who start early). That time, I was with Cadburys; among my sales officer colleagues, shark-like distributors and street-smart salesmen, I was the youngest and as later events would prove dumbest. The cigarette then proved a good excuse to be macho, to mix freely with the big boys and was the expression of the freedom. It was an excuse to blow the good money I was makin, and maybe also a culmination of the craving generated by the celluloid heroes - all those men with their guns and their cigarettes. There have been all these frivlous reasons to start, and I am aware of all the numerous good reasons to stop. Yes, 'tis time to stop. Addicted as I am to this roll of paper carring tobacco, it is so goddamn difficult, even to think of stopping this seriously. So, am not thankful, I am Sorry for Smoking. Time to stop now ... Ohh, Nana is calling me, let me go have a quick puff and be back in jiffy.

3 Comments:

Blogger elango said...

the article was nice but... stil you should think about, if not quiting atleast about reducing....
Even if you have the slightest of ideas of doing so.. please do tell me... will surely be so some help.

3/28/2006 12:29:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The fact that you wanted an "excuese" to be with the "big boys" clearly shows that you were (and you still are) not one. Now, dont you take on the health minister for one good thing he did!

3/28/2006 04:33:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey dude - smoking is macho for our Reel thalivar Rajini - not for every1

But when real macho's like me can stop it - u know what macho really is !!!!!!!!!!

have fun

3/28/2006 01:46:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home